Letting go of what is no longer needed and planting the seeds for a happy, peaceful and meaningful 2018
As I walked my dog yesterday a neighbour asked me: ‘what are you doing tonight?’ I said ‘a quiet evening’, he continued: ‘with 2 bottles of wine?’ I replied ‘No, no wine, I don’t drink’ so he replied: ‘Oh sad!’ He meant it and left.
So we all have choices don’t we, as to how we want to end a year and start a new one. What does it mean for us?
In my family we didn’t have wine, nor fireworks – and nothing wrong with these but we chose something different, because we are free to choose. We enjoyed a lovely vegetarian homemade meal followed by a little ‘end of year’ ritual. We wrote down a list of the negative habitual patterns that have been an hindrance to our happiness or well being in 2017. Negative, recurring thought patterns that are no longer needed, such as low self-esteem, doubt, greed etc. We shared them out-loud with each other and then burnt the list in the fire. This clearing felt very positive and liberating. The fire is optional, the main effective aspect in this action is to become aware of our habitual patterns. By becoming aware of and sharing our thoughts and habitual behaviors non-judgmentally, automatically these dissipate and become weaker. By shining a light of awareness on our thoughts we create a space between them and our mind which gives us more control and give them less power.
Mindfulness is the first step toward liberation and transformation of negative thought patterns. It doesn’t mean that they won’t come back, it means that due to our awareness of their existence and being present, we are able to notice them as they arise and therefore not being driven by them or carried away. With presence and awareness we notice them, let them be and carry on our tasks without being affected or influenced.
After this session of acknowledging our unhelpful thought patterns and behaviours, we then contemplated and shared what we wanted to bring and create in 2018.
We woke up at dawn this morning, on a fresh new day of a fresh new year, feeling positive, open and ready for this new journey.
It is so wonderful that among the unpredictable we have some degree of choice woven in the making of life’s tapestry.
Wishing you all a happy, peaceful, mindful and beneficial 2018!
Upcoming events for your well being, to start 2018 in a positive way:
January mindfulness events:
– Introduction to Mindfulness Tuesday 9th Jan 7-9pm
– Drop in Meditation sessions resume on Wed 10th 6-7pm (No session on 3rd January)
– Refresher sessions Thursday 11 January 7-9pm For graduates of MBSR. Please click the link above to book by email. Private and small groups refreshers are also available at Cowdray Therapy Rooms.
– Mindfulness in Stillness and Movement: A retreat day of Mindfulness practices and gentle Qigong movements with Kim Lovelace and myself. Saturday 13 January 2018 11am-5pm, Cowdray Hall Meeting room. To apply and book Click Here
– Cowdray Hall Open Day Saturday 20 January 1.30 to 4pm
Three inspirational speakers, ‘Have a go’ sessions and Therapy Taster Sessions. A great opportunity to discover what is on offer at Cowdray Hall and Therapy Rooms.
– MBSR 9 Week Course starting on Tuesday 23 January 7-9pm until 27 March + all day 24 March.
– One to One Mindfulness Coaching sessions for beginners and graduates available at Cowdray Therapy Rooms or home visits.
For regular info and quotes please visit the website www.mindfulness-midhurst.co.uk or facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MindfulnessMidhurst/